Pensacola, Florida
Tuesday October 21st 2014

Follow the Blog

On Sale:

Archives

Hoodwinked?

A Texas limited liability corporation, also named Maritime Park Development Partners, owns 50.1 percent of the Florida-licensed MPDP and Mark White’s MP-LC Development Partner owns the remaining 49.9 percent.

MP-LC Development Partner was dropped as a manager from the Florida-licensed MPDP on Nov. 16, 2009. Rick Rodriguez of Brass/Magi replaced him. Mark White now works for Magi Construction and is paid $275,000 under the Design-Build contract by CMPA, according to Fleming’s report to the EBO Committee.

The Texas-licensed MPDP had Davison and Rodriguez as partners, but that company became inactive on Oct. 15, 2010, which appears to leave Rodriguez as the sole owner of Florida-licensed MPDP, which is developing the maritime park. There may be no partners in MPDP, just Rick Rodriguez.

WHO IS THE PROJECT MANAGER?

In the RFP submittal, Land Capital described its developer experience as “over the past 10 years developing a variety of retail shopping centers.” Magi Real Estate/Brass Real Estate Fund had experience in single family, apartment and office development. The experience of those companies wasn’t sufficient to meet the requirements to be the developer of the maritime park. The team member who knew how to develop the mix of public and private was Bruce Cutright.

Cutright had managed over the past 30 years projects across the country. In the Land Capital/MPDP proposal, he was touted for his experience in management, development, construction and environmental areas. The MPDP proposal listed 17 of his projects to support Cutright’s experience to be the project manager for the maritime park, and most importantly, Cutright had a Florida general contractor’s license.

In June 2008, when Davison made his presentation to the CMPA as part of the RFP process, he introduced Cutright as the project manager, who would be the CMPA’s primary point of contact for the park project. The development agreement between MPDP and the CMPA that was executed by all parties on Aug. 14, 2009 lists Cutright as the “key man” who would devote a minimum of one day per week to the project and visit the site twice per month. He could not be replaced without written approval of the CMPA.

Bruce Cutright has never visited the construction site. He never assumed the role of project manager and hasn’t been paid to do so by MPDP. The CMPA never authorized any change.

The IN found Bruce Cutright at the University of Texas at Austin, where he is a research associate for the Bureau of Economic Geology.

“I told Scott that I couldn’t wait any more,” Cutright said in a phone interview. “I have a position at the University of Texas doing research and teaching classes. Realistically, I couldn’t sit and wait around and do nothing.”

Cutright realized that Davison had him listed in the development agreement and said that he has intended to write him about it. “I told Scott I might be able to serve as an advisor, but nothing came of that,” Cutright said.

MISSING LEGACY PIECE

A key part of the MPDP proposal was its commitment to the Covenant with the Community and the Contractor’s Academy. The developer proposed to donate 25 percent of the profits above a 12 percent investment rate of return from the private development portion of the park, up to $500,000 per year, for the on-going operations of the Contractor’s Academy.

“The Contractor’s Academy is a huge piece,” Davison told the CMPA board when he made his presentation in June 2008.

Davison made firm commitments on minority inclusion, commitments beyond those in the Covenant with the Community. “If there are 30 percent African-Americans, for example, then they should be getting 30 percent of the work, both on the construction side and on the operations and management side,” Davison said. “If there is eight percent Hispanic in Pensacola then they should be getting that same percentage of work.”

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5