In honor of the upcoming Who’s Bad?—The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute Band—show at Vinyl Music Hall, we asked our resident MJ expert Jennie McKeon to give us her best random facts about the King of Pop.
• Sheryl Crow used to be his back-up singer in the 1980s.
• Ever wonder what happened to Michael’s chimp, Bubbles? He’s alive and well, living at the Center for Great Apes, a primate sanctuary in Wauchula, Fla.
• Michael gave away his long-time friend, Liza Minnelli, at her wedding to concert promoter David Gest.
• Michael loved all animals and even had a boa constrictor named Muscles, a python named Crusher, a ram named Mr. Tibbs and two llamas, Louis and Lola.
• He is Nicole Richie’s godfather.
• Michael was so talented that he actually has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. One star is for the Jackson 5 and one is for his solo work.
• MC Hammer challenged Michael to a dance off in the 1990s.
• It was Elizabeth Taylor who popularized Michael’s King of Pop title.
• In 1999, Michael bought the 1939 Oscar for “Gone with the Wind” for $1.5 million.
• June 25, 2009 was actually the day the music died.
WHO’S BAD – THE ULTIMATE MICHAEL JACKSON TRIBUTE BAND
WHERE: Vinyl Music Hall, 2 S. Palafox St.
WHEN: 8:30 p.m., Nov. 12
COST: $15 in advance, $20 day of show (all ages event)